Thursday, September 8, 2011

Emerson


Emerson was one of the most influential writers during the Transcendentalist movement. During this movement, society strayed away from unity solely under the church and focused more on individualism and individual spirituality, as we discussed in class. The excerpt from Emerson’s self-reliance is loaded with his views on individuality. Right from the start in the first paragraph Emerson states, “To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men,--that is genius.” I think what Emerson is saying is that you have to establish your own beliefs and ideas instead of just conforming and adopting others’ beliefs. To back up his claims, Emerson lists prominent figures such as Moses and Plato who originated Transcendentalism.
 It took me a couple of times through to understand Emerson’s points, but once you comprehend his words you can really see the genius he applies. For instance, one line that truly spoke to me was line 68:  “These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter into the world.” I think Emerson is manifesting the idea that people are so good at developing ideas and values they see as right when they are alone, but forget all of it once they go out into society. Emerson goes on in the next paragraph to stress the importance of being good from within. This reminded me of Ben Franklin’s autobiography and his attempt to live nobly via his virtues. However, I am a little confused as the story goes on and Emerson discusses how man is separate from his virtues in line 108. I think what Emerson is trying to convey here is that man should do good deeds or adhere to virtues for the goodness of himself, not to please other people.  Another portion of the story that reminded me of Ben Franklin was line 131 when Emerson speaks of religion and states, “If I know your sect, I anticipate your argument.”  Like Franklin, Emerson questions the one-sided arguments preachers and the church present and wonder if the church is looking to better the people (as it is supposed to do) or better itself (through followers and finance).
I’m no history buff, so I would really like to discuss what is going on in the world at this time causing such a strong push for individuality and non-conformity. Does it have to do with religion? It seemed to me that a lot of what Emerson felt was tied to God. If I remember from class correctly, Transcendentalists wanted to establish a more personal relationship with God. One part of the story I didn’t feel like fit very well (at least not in the sense of individuality) is Emerson’s paragraphs on the youth and the children. Is he saying that the youth and children are just as important and influential as adults? If so, this reminds me quite a lot of Ben Franklin’s autobiography and how he placed such importance on the youth.  
Honestly, I found this to be a bit redundant. I think Emerson’s objective was to hammer the point of being an individual; especially thinking for oneself and not trying to please other people. Although redundant, I think a lot of what Emerson says is very true. It’s easy to get caught up in the world, especially peer pressure and become very lax and let other people influence the way we act, feel, and even think.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the part about the virtues is confusing. My take on it was that people do good things, virtues, for people out of charity and in order to feel like they are helping others. Emerson is not a big fan of charity, and therefore he feels like good deeds are not done through the heart and thus they are not truth.

    ReplyDelete