Monday, September 5, 2011

One Hundred Per Cent American


                The first time I read through One Hundred Per Cent American, I found it to be quite humorous. I never really noticed or sat down to think how many things we are so accustomed to using come from other places. The American citizen the author talks about made it through breakfast without using anything originally created in America, hence the irony in the title. Speaking of the title, I wonder if the ‘Per Cent’ portion is the author’s attempt at a pun on the word ‘percent.’ If so, I think the author is referring to the amount of pennies in a dollar, saying that these “pure-blood” Americans are really only about 1/100 percent American.
                Upon further reading, the work really became a little disturbing to me. When you really consider all of the customs and items we use that are foreign, the author’s tone becomes less humorous and more sarcastic. Everything from the bed we sleep in to the food we eat did not originate in America. The general consensus in the world used to be that America was superior to all other countries. However, this work shows that to be very different. I also think this work reflects the changing times. Most of the goods we have today are imported from other countries. If I were to look in my closet right now, the majority of the tags in my shirts would read, “Made in (insert foreign country here).”  Even the majority of automobiles are now manufactured by foreign companies. Essentially, this article worries me because when you really stop to think about it, what is made in America?

No comments:

Post a Comment